Tuesday 13 March 2018

One More Sleep: Is the Skylight Fixed Yet?

Blue Puffle is ready to go, are we? 
An idea is hatched - "You know, we have nothing planned for Spring Break. Don't get too excited Alex, but what do you think about driving to Phoenix to see some Spring Training Major League Baseball games?  It will mean three days of driving through the Endless Valley and three days back again."

"Yes, Mama!"

Three hours later - sites are booked, maps are plotted and we are going to see some baseball.

Oh, the joys of a road trip.  The planning, the nasty administrative details, spring cleaning, packing, prepping of food, breaking a skylight three days before departure. . . And, then, before you know it, we are down to one more sleep and your mind is racing - did I remember everything?!

Will that snow ever stop!?



I spent the good part of a week standing on a ladder scrapping ice and snow off of the roof any time we had some warm weather. It's getting there!








Typically, I wash everything at the end of the season and neatly store it away only to wash it again the start of the season to get the stale winter smells out. This year, I chose to skip that first step. Out with the old bedding. 



When spring is not cooperating, a sled comes in handy to transport your laundry right up to the front loader. 





I have boards that lean up against the wheels to block the winter sun. I know, we have no sun in winter but it's what people do. These boards needed a little encouragement from the pressure washer so that we could remove them. 




Success!  The Gypsy Wagon has made it to the driveway. It still has a strip of ice and snow on top. 



Re-packing. Things always look a little bit worse before they get better. 





This would be the 'nasty administration' details. Oh so necessary to have photos of all important documents in a Google Drive and send the link to a few trusted people in the event of something unpleasant occurring. 



Prepping food and freezing it ahead of time helps us eat real food easily. The last thing I feel like doing on a road trip is cooking, especially since my job comes along with me. 




This is a happy freezer.  Soups, apple sauce, Sante Fe Turkey Egg rolls, pre-cooked burgers, vacuum-sealed raw meats, cooked ground beef 'meat mix' for soft tacos or spaghetti in a hurry. 



I am a dummy. My enthusiastic roof clearing resulted in a delicious 5 inch spider crack in my kitchen skylight. Don't be like me. 

Flexible and tough as nails.  3M 5200 to the rescue. I had one hour between discovering my blunder and our departure to the 4th soccer game in 2 days. This product is easily found at Canadian Tire. 


I should have taped first and caulked second but I did not have my tape brainwave until the next day. . ..  




The caulking takes about 5 days to cure. I don't have five days. Clear Gorilla tape on the inside to the rescue. 







A very important stop today with Big Al at KP Tirecraft in Kelowna. Big Al made sure that his technicians checked tire pressures and wheel nut torques. Another tech spent time with me checking my Dual Cam Sway control hitch set-up ensuring that everything was sitting level and riding just right. I was not rushed and I was treated with respect. Thank you!



Blue Puffle is ready and we hope that you are, too. Sit back and enjoy. We are going on a road trip!




2 comments:

  1. Wishing you and Alex a wonder-filled trip. Food and pillows make a great start. Hope the only snow you see is in the rear view mirror! Cheers, Mare

    ReplyDelete