Friday 18 August 2017

Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, and Baby Black Bear - Oh My!


Today was a day about learning to be patient, to take my time and to perfect my turning around in tight spaces with the Gypsy wagon.

Departing Redsteaks Campground the road descends from the plateau about 2 kms into Radium Hot Springs. No sooner had I started my descent than I stumbled upon a herd of Big Horn Sheep with actual curved horns, this time. Well, down went the windows and out came the camera. I was in all my glory!  Since this is a lightly traveled road I could snap away from the drivers seat to my hearts content.

After getting my fill I travelled down to the Visitors Centre parking lot to get a magnet for the fridge before I departed.  Shock of the day - all those pictures I thought I took - I didn't. They were NOT on my camera.  I turned the Gypsy Wagon around and went right back up the hill, past the herd, pulled a U-turn to face down the hill and proceeded to get those pictures all over again. Thankfully, the sheep were not in a rush and seemed to be in the very same spot as before. Sigh.

Time for gas.  Why didn't I fill up when I was in town yesterday without the trailer?  Good question! This will become a re-occurring theme.  I had a memorable experience pulling forward through the pumps as a massive 5th wheel came towards me in the other lane.  Of course, both of us were coming out of a turn just to add fun to the occasion.  We managed not to get hung up on each other - barely.

I had downloaded the Kootenay National Park app that is supposed to automatically start when you get to the park entrance.  Well, it would not go automatically because I had the location services off which I found out later.  I also found out later that this section of highway has no cell service. Turning on the location services part way did not help me. I did manage to listen to a few tracks manually though which was nice.

National Park points of interest signage.  I had already learned that they were small now I will add 'almost non-existent and located too close to the turns off to be of value' when travelling at 90 km/hr towing a trailer downhill.

I missed Olive Lake altogether but did manage to slither into the Kootenay Valley Viewpoint. This is worth stopping for.  While the Visitor Centre guide assured me that the pull-outs along this route were trailer friendly I soon began to doubt this advice as some stops were bleak at best. The problem is you typically cannot see beyond the turn off to judge the suitability.  Let's just say Mr. Thirsty and the Gypsy Wagon we not always a match.

The Paint Pots is not a trailer friendly stop but once committed you are committed!  I did manage to park and thankfully the people beside me were still in their vehicle when I returned.  They kindly backed up to allow me room to pull out without shearing off their front bumper. Because the parks are busy, someone parked, in a no parking area, along the edge in front of me taking away any room for me to pull forward before turning.

After setting up at the campground in Lake Louise it was off to Moraine Lake for a short hike.  Then take-out pizza and I was in for the night.







Look George, more looky-loo's. 











Today I saw three out of four. Not too bad!

Kootenay Valley Viewpoint, Highway 93 heading towards Lake Louise from Radium Hot Springs.
Here I am in a completely deserted campground looking for a way to turn around so that I can go back down the highway to get to a trail head entrance that I missed. I think this campground was closed due to the recent fires and was just newly opened; however, there was no one here. Not one camper. Really weird. After going around a camping loop I did get pointed in the right direction again. 


Mountain goats at 90 km/hr. 

It is difficult to see; however, this entire valley was victim to the recent forest fires. 

View from the bridge over the Vermillion River on the walk to the Paint Pots. 













Mountains towering above at every turn. Getting closer to Castle Junction were Highway 93 meets Highway 1. 


After getting settled into the campground in Lake Louise, I headed up the road to Moraine Lake. How nice to see a happy little Black Bear feeding on the side of the road. With a large line of cars behind me this was the best I could do. Although busy, the parks were no more busy than they were when I was here exactly one year ago.  


It is impossible not to take pictures every 3 steps. The following are various points of view of Moraine Lake as I walked to the end and back which is a very easy 15 minute walk each way.  Most people do not venture more than 50 metres down the path. 















The snow pack high up across the lake has a huge waterfall coming off the right-hand side. Difficult to see here.

With few people to witness my antics near the far end of the lake this is a perfect place to practice the self-timer special. 









The end of the line. This is the end of Moraine Lake where the river from the glacier feeds the lake.

Looking back towards the trail head, the brown patch in the centre.

An easy walk back to the car.

Many tourists clambering over the rocks. It you squint just right you will see some at the very top to the left of the picture.








When parking at Moriane Lake you will likely have to ditch it on the side of the road and walk but that is what Mr. Thirsty is made for.  

I ordered take out pizza from the Timberwolf restaurant in the Lake Louise Inn. They have a fabulous lobby to wait in. 



Comfy couches and ice water for the taking. Why not?!


Pizza, one of my better ideas today.

Settling in for the night in Lake Louise ready to hit the Icefields Parkway tomorrow on my way to Jasper. 

1 comment: