Thursday 17 August 2017

Radium Hot Springs: Sinclair Canyon, Juniper Trail to the Springs

Mama Big Horn Sheep with young.
Juniper Trail, Sinclair Canyon, Kootenay National Park. 


The guides at the Radium Hot Springs Visitor's Centre were very helpful in planning out the next two days.  Tomorrow I will relocate to Lake Louise via Highway 93 that runs through Kootenay National Park to Castle Junction (the mid-point between Banff and Lake Louise along Highway 1).  There are many interesting places to stop along Highway 93; however, I was not sure if the pull-outs and parking lots would accommodate the Gypsy Wagon.  Maybe I should drive this 93 km stretch today with just the truck to do all of my hopping out?

No need they said, the parking lots are big. Perfect. That means I can save all of that for tomorrow and just drive Highway 93 one way. Today was for hiking to Sinclair Falls and then on to the Radium Hot Springs pools.

From the Redstreak Campground there is a 1.0 km trail down to the Sinclair Falls pull out along Highway 93. This offers a short sidewalk along the highway that pedestrians can stroll along to peer over the walls into the deep waterfall/canyon.

From here the Juniper trail descends through a short series of switch-backs to the edge of the roaring river downstream from Sinclair Canyon. This means only one thing - what goes down much come up. To get to the hot spring one must channel their inner mountain goat and hike up and up and up. The trail is well packed soil that is easy to navigate; however, it is like climbing two Pender Hills in a row.  Not impossible at all - just a little sweaty.

The underbrush is light so I didn't have to worry about surprising any creatures. That said it must be grasshopper season because I was flushing them out every 20 paces. I may have let out an inelegant squeak now and then. That will be my secret.

Juniper trail ascends much higher than the campground which is on the opposite side of Sinclair Canyon. The views looking back over the valley and town are nice; however, the best view of the canyon from above is as you descend from the campground and again at the highway level.  Juniper trail is lovely exercise and pretty at the river bottom but will disappoint if the expectation is to gain a better view of Sinclair Canyon itself.

My hike today was a loop trail with the hot springs near the end with only a very minimal climb followed by a gently rolling 2.0 km stroll back to the campground.  I had my swim suit, towel, lunch and magazine along. Too bad I didn't bring a fresh set of clothing or a comb!  Getting back into smelly clothing after the pool was a distinct downer.

At the hot springs I was purchasing a pool pass from one clerk when the other stated, "Aren't you a Loenen?" Pardon!?  Turns out this was the mother of a former online school student.  I had met her a few times previously at home school conventions. It took my mind a few seconds to put the pieces together when meeting her out of context.  Her son was on-duty today as a life guard and stopped by the edge of the pool to say hello. It's a small world!

After putting my gross hiking clothes back on I strolled back to the camp to get cleaned up . . . again.

The afternoon was spent in lazy splendour reading, editing photos and cooking up a nice steak that I acquired from the well-stocked grocery store located next to the visitors centre.

I must hurry - the park interpretive program starts at 7 pm this evening.  And, feeling optimistic, I purchased a day pass for the hot springs pools.  I could go back. They are open until 11 pm.  I know, I never make it much past 9 pm.  Who knows, today might be the day.

Ha, ha.  So I get the dishes started and then come back to upload photos and poof it is 7:10 pm.  I dash out in my trusty old blue Crocs (flimsy plastic foot wear) only to find the amphitheatre is dark and abandoned.  Ah, the group is up on the slopes of the path that I hiked last night. Hiking. .. in crocs.... uphill.  Oh well, I learned lots of lovely things about how to survive in the bush. Bottom line - I would not survive.

Camp stores are source of wonder. They have everything. 



Hmm, we are going to eat well tonight. Steak and potatoes. 

I thought a statue of a Big Horn Sheep is better than no Big Horn Sheep.


Up the slope behind the Visitor's Centre parking lot is a short paved stroll with huge statues depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross. Regardless of ones faith or personal beliefs this was a moving way to start the day in the stillness of the morning. My question - why do the Stations of the Cross end without a resurrection 'station'?







I took my groceries and my maps back to the campsite and set out.  Here is the look out from the campground side of Highway 93 looking down into Sinclair Canyon. You can see the pedestrian sidewalk below.  Down we go!



Still at the first lookout, you can peer across and see where you are going to be in about an hour.

Here is the view from highway level. The picture provides no idea as to the roar of the water and the height of the falls in this canyon. 



Tomorrow the Gypsy Wagon will go through this narrow point. Too bad I can't stop to take a picture like I did on the Avenue of the Giants in California.  Since this is a main highway, I shall show some restraint. 

In the belly of the falls. 







Over the bridge to the other side and up we go!

Since the views at the top we hazy and uninspiring, my next shots are near the end of the trail in a restoration area.  I am not sure if the fire was a prescribed burn or a natural event some years ago. 

My 35x zoom brings this 'sentry' sheep up close. 

I nearly missed seeing this foraging group on the hillside. At first, I only saw two.  Standing to watch and wait slowly more appeared. 




A very Canadian Moment at the Radium Hot Springs pool. 

Lunch time. Lentils and a banana with yummy 'flavour spots' - at least that's what I used to tell the boys. They don't buy that anymore. 


The 2.3 km trail from the hot springs back to the camp has a short steep bit and then levels off nicely for the remainder.

The stillness of this place was disrupted by the clanging sounds of the machinery making upgrades to the concrete and curbing at the hot springs. Maybe come back with snowshoes in the winter?


 I caught up to the Interpretive program about 10 minutes late. No harm done.  The story of the tiny mouse seeking shelter in the cone of the Douglas Fir never gets old. 



A squirrel snack food stash.  Seeds for everyone. 




Juniper trees make good wood for bows and have the berries used in gin.  Who knew?



Checking out the different kinds of lichen. Don't eat the bright green ones.

We ended our time together at the top of the path looking west over Mt. Farnham and the Purcell Mountains.
No more hot springs for me tonight - its time to get cozy in the Gypsy Wagon and get ready for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment