Wednesday 16 August 2017

Kelowna to Kootenay National Park at Radium Hot Springs

The boys did not want to come along so I am adventuring in the mountain parks of western Canada solo.  I think this will work out well for all of us.

First stop, Tim Horton's in Winfield. Then, it was very smooth and easy driving to Revelstoke.  I meet up with my former neighbour who suggested a lovely little Taco restaurant in the downtown core. It was delicious and rather fun to actually stop and soak up the ambiance a little bit. Revelstoke is generally a gas and restroom stop.  It is worth slowing down and checking it out.

The drive to Golden was extremely smokey especially on the east side of the Roger's Pass.  Here there were active forest fires smouldering shockingly close to the highway.  Helicopters were dipping their buckets in the river beside the highway as we drove on by.

Turning south at Golden down highway 95 was a real treat. This meandering two-lane highway was new to me.  It is somewhat like driving between Okanagan Falls and Oliver over and over again.

I was too busy checking out the RV's parked at the Visitor's Centre that I missed the turn off for Redstreak  Campground. It took me about 3-4 kilometres to realize, hmmm, I think I am on my way to Invermere. Then, it was another 4 kilometres before I could see a good place to turn around in time to slow down and exit. Alex and Dominic would have come in handy here so that they could check the GSP to see what kinds of roads were up ahead. . . .. yes, yes, I know, I would not have missed the turn had the GPS on the phone been turned on.  In my defence, the national park campground sign was tiny. As in miniature. And, it was situated about 10 feet before the actual turn. Now, I know :).

After getting set up I walked two of the trails located right around the park. No Big Horned Sheep yet - maybe tomorrow.

At 8 pm there was a park interpreter program on the White Barked Pine.  I think I will fall asleep to the chant - 'but, the White Barked Pines fought back!'

This camping can be a busy business!

The Gypsy Wagon is ready to roll. 

Approaching Vernon. Despite the smoke-filled skies, home is pretty nice, too.

Hundreds of Cadets on parade to mark the end of their summer training. This brings back memories as I taught basic training for two summers in the Canadian Forces Communication Reserves on this very parade square.

Oh those pesky fender screws. I caught this one just before it made its escape.

This business started out as a food truck.

Delicious Crispy Fish taco lunch.

Hamming it up with Hrvojka and her daughter by the bears in downtown Revelstoke. 




The mountains are still majestic, just a little muted with all of the smoke

Oh, what's a summer road trip in British Columbia without a few construction zones?!

These tunnels were under construction last year, too!?

So, that fire is kinda right beside the road. Yikes.

Fire on the right, bucketing helicopters on the left.

This is Highway 95 heading south from Golden towards Radium Hot Springs. Still smokey here, too from the fires in Banff National Park. Hopefully, Highway 93 will be open when I need it. 

Redstreak Campground in Kootenay National Park. 




Redstreak Restoration trail.  They said there could be Big Horn Sheep. No sheep. . .   




Redstreak Loop to the look out. 

Up we go.





There is something a little bit ironic about reading "Meeting God in the Wilderness' while in a National Park, eh?!

I enjoyed the lively audience participation interpretive program in the amphitheatre. We have some short 'old' spruce crowding out the White Barked Pine and a pesky Mountain Pine Beetle on the right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment