Tuesday 29 March 2016

Day 17: San Francisco to Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Avenue of the Giants

San Francisco, CA
Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA
238 miles

On this day we left the city and headed north along Highway 101 to the Redwood Forest. This was a gentle easy drive that oscillated between four lanes highways to goat trails and back again. Because it is Easter Weekend the traffic was lighter than normal which made this a pleasant journey. 

The highlight of the day was driving through the Avenue of the Giants as we approached Humboldt Redwood State Park.  I even managed to get the 'money shot' by stopping in the middle of the road, mindful to do so with plenty of straight road behind me, hopping out of the truck and snapping a few pictures.  I had to wait because as soon as I got behind the trailer there was a slow approaching vehicle cluttering up my frame. 

We arrived at 3:15 pm and the light under the dense canopy of Redwoods was faint at best. 

I am not sure what I was thinking as I anticipated this State Park.  In my mind State Park means big sites with easy access.  I seem to have forgotten that this park was cut into the middle of the Redwood forest.  The lanes were tight, twisty and the area of the site where your vehicle could be was narrow and short.  I booked this in a hurry one night a few weeks before we left and did not pay careful attention to my particular site number or pictures. This was not a good choice for the Gypsy Wagon. But, after a really tight jackknife, I got her into place.  It wasn't pretty but we were in for the night. 






One last coffee morning looking north towards San Francisco.

So many interesting abodes. 

OK, Mr. White Trailer, it is not helpful when you crowd me
along the railing on a curve approaching the Golden Gate Bridge.
Yes, your tires are in my little lane. 




We drove through tunnels. 

We drove through grassy hills. 

We crossed quaint bridges.

We pulled up awkwardly to small busy gas stations in small towns.

We rounded many shoulder-less corners. 



We did drive by site seeing.  The Gypsy Wagon will not fit everywhere.

We stopped in the middle of the road to take fast pictures.
Avenue of the Giants

We tried to take selfies while driving.
I will have to work on that. 

We cranked it hard to get into a short space at 90 degrees to the one way lane
in the campground with leaning trees.
n.a.s.t.y




We ran through the interpretive centre 15 minutes before closing time.



We were amazed at the age of this tree. 1000's of years old.


Alex joined me on a short nature walk in the dying light.






Yes, there is a Creator. 




Hmm, back to this interesting site. . . . That leaning tree beside the trailer and the massive tree
behind the trailer made for interesting parking.


It actually looks very civilized from this picture.
it.was.not.

We are in the Redwood Forest and what does my son choose to do?
Sit near the ranger hut to get wifi signal.
I was not willing to die on this hill so I let him and went walking with Alex. 





A beautiful little bridge behind our campsite. 




Ah, campfire in a can to end the night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment